April 26, 2016

Realistic Settlements in Fallout 4 by Wasteland Angel (part 2)

In my previous blog post, Realistic Settlements in Fallout 4, where you can see very detailed settlement builds of Red Rocket Truck Stop and Sanctuary Hills (YouTube links), I already introduced you to what realistic settlements are in my game.

A quick reminder of my "problem" with most of the settlement videos over the interweb -- There are many really good videos out there. It's just that most of them are somehow focused on building sizes and wonders, and stuff, rather than being realistic.

Mostly, I think about small details like missing pillars on tall buildings or bridges, or even spamming with duplicated fences, floors, etc.


I, on the other hand, don't build Commonwealth Wonders or big Palaces, and just want to keep my settlements realistically formed and built, like I would do (if I could) in real life. With a post-apocalyptic setting in mind, where building materials are scarce, this time, I'm introducing you the settlements of Greentop Nursery and beautiful Spectacle Island!

Greentop Nursery


Before I begin you should know that all my settlements are still works in progress and are about 90-95% complete. I'll start with the Greentop Nursery.

I imagined Greentop Nursery being a very important settlement since a greenhouse in wasteland can be a big and important source of food and caps. To protect that sweet jewel of the Commonwealth, I decided to barricade the whole area around it. Since there is not much of a space between the settlement boundaries and the greenhouse, I used every bit of it. I upgraded the original house with a two-story shack on the side and a place where you can eat, have a drink and relax in front of the house.

I almost doubled the number of plants in the greenhouse also. Other than that, there are a few shacks on the settlement walls, which I'd imagined being something like guard houses. A few shacks are built near the walls also, but you can a much better perspective of my Greentop Nursery by watching the settlement preview video below.


Spectacle Island


Spectacle Island turned out even better than what I had imagined in a first place. I'm very proud I haven't used the settlement limit size glitch. I almost reached the maximum size and decided to leave it like that (for now).

I imagined Spectacle Island with this dry docks in mind, that drive you from the main street all the way back to the beach. But I didn't know how and where to begin. So I started building the "settlers' sanctuary" up on the hill first, right next to the shack with the workshop. The first floor is all about the food and drink and fun for my settlers, the second floor is where they sleep - with a nice balcony view of the beach-side of the island. The third floor was all for me, and it was the smallest one.

Then I turned back to the "first side" of the island, where the ruined house is and I realized I need some juice. Since I put the almighty 100-power generator on the hill-side, I needed to build the whole electrical grid across the island. So I did that, and that pretty much cleared the path where I decided to build the "main street". The rest is history. The "main street" looks awesome, with all things needed for a nice and relaxed life in paradise; it has all the shops, bars, restaurants, private shacks, and even the big arena building - where we capture various beasts and look them fight each others just for fun. Life's pretty much good, on Spectacle Island. Take a look at the settlement preview video below!



If you wish to sit back, relax and enjoy some nice music while you watch my creations, I recommend you this playlist on YouTube -- Realistic Fallout 4 Settlements.

Other than that, what do you think about my settlement builds so far? If you have anything interesting to share, send it all via Contact Form below. Be sure to follow Vault-Tec Inc. in your preferred channel for more fresh content!


Fallout 1, 2 Tactics, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Fallout 4