March 20, 2016

Realistic Settlements in Fallout 4 by Wasteland Angel

Since Fallout 4 was published, many were focused on just building their settlements. That's fine and up until now, you can find many settlement videos on the interweb. I watched dozens since the launch of Fallout 4, but no matter how big, massive or interesting they are, they usually lacked a dose of realism.

Don't get me wrong, there are many really good settlement videos out there. It's just that most of them are somehow focused on building sizes and stuff, rather than be fully realistic. I'm talking about small details like missing pillars on tall buildings or bridges, or even spamming with duplicated fences, floors, etc. It's fine, this is a game after all.


I finished Fallout 4 couple of times and started focusing on my own settlements in detail. There are few I gave my full devotion. I started from Sanctuary Hills and worked there about a month. Then, to take a break, I switched to Red Rocket Truck Stop. After I finished Red Rocket, I decided to systematically build every settlement slowly, each time a quest sent me to it. We'll be referencing the most complete.

All settlements are still a work in progress, and my Red Rocket Truck Stop is about 99% done. It's fully barricaded with a fence, which has two main gates from the road access, as well as two guard outposts and three other door-gates. I wanted for Red Rocket to be something like a market outpost between larger settlements like Sanctuary Hills, Abernathy Farm, Tenpines Bluff, Starlight Drive-In and Sunshine Tidings.

"I imagined for Sanctuary Hills to be something like a heavily guarded market-town, but also a place where you can relax and have some fun."

I placed the main market between the steel pillars of the Red Rocket, and I built a secondary marketplace across the garage entrance. As for everything else, it has everything a settlement needs; a bunch of beds inside the Red Rocket, a bar / restaurant on the top of it, extra bed shack, a larger farm, my personal space, and even an outhouse! I could write it much more in detail, but the best way for you to experience it is to see it for yourself.


Now back to my Sanctuary Hills. After about a month it's still work in progress. About 90% of the settlement is closed with fences and 90% of houses are all barricaded. Some houses are not quite finished, but everything is fully decorated to appear realistic. I imagined for Sanctuary Hills to be something like a heavily guarded market-town, but also a place where you can relax and have some fun.


While everyone is focusing on building up the existing houses, I decided to do what seemed to be the logical choice. I patched the holes in the walls and ceilings of most of the houses by adding actual walls and roofs and added guard trims that stretch around some of them. Since Sanctuary Hills is a fairly large settlement, I will describe what you can see in the video, so that you can have the best guess of what I wanted to accomplish with the settlement.

Firstly, when you approach the Sanctuary via the bridge, there are heavily guarded gates with two guard outposts and turrets in front. After entering, the video shows every creation from your left, all the way back, to the first house on your right.

"I'm also focusing on the Abernathy Farm and Greentop Nursery settlements. Since I'm more focused on the Minutemen questline (obviously), I might throw in the Castle settlement as well."

Other than fortified houses and guard outposts, you can find a crafting house, marketplace, my personal sanctuary, and a larger, two-story bar/restaurant with a balcony and a roof access like seen in Megaton in Fallout 3. There is also and weapons and armors warehouse, which is still empty at the moment. Other than that, check the video preview of my Sanctuary Hills, to see it for yourself!


That's it for now. Next will be to add all the details needed in my Sanctuary Hills, and I'm also focusing on the Abernathy Farm and Greentop Nursery settlements. Since I'm more focused on the Minutemen questline (obviously), I might throw in the Castle settlement as well.

If you were wondering, I'm using Vault Booty - Enhanced Female Vault Suit, Clean Settlement, FogOut v6, Verdant Wasteland - Main File, Vivid Fallout - Landscapes, Trees and Rocks, Eyewear and mask retexture, Young Female Face Texture, Eye Normal Map Fix Fallout 4 Edition, and Wasteland Salon - Hair Texture Improvement Mod from Nexus Mods. You can find the mod list also in each video description.

While you're at it, check the settlements of Greentop Nursery and beautiful Spectacle Island!

Other than that, what do you think about my settlement builds so far? If you have anything interesting to share also, send it all via Contact Form below. Be sure to follow Vault-Tec Inc. in your preferred channel for updates and more!


Fallout 1, 2 Tactics, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Fallout 4